Learning to drive defensively is a great skill to have in the modern world as higher populations crowd the road and make driving more dangerous. Knowing how to react to certain scenarios means you’ll be a safer driver and cause less accidents, making your entire community safer.
You can learn how to drive safely without going to a driving range and practicing maneuvers over and over just by knowing how to react in tricky situations on the road. By reading the techniques on the internet, you can increase your chances of survival in the event of an accident and decrease your chances of ever getting into an accident in the first place.
What kind of techniques are we talking about?
To drive defensively, there are several steps involved. We’ve outlined them below
- Scan the surroundings for hazards
- Note all obstacles and warnings and react accordingly
- Make safe decisions
- Always be aware of pedestrians crossing roadways
- Don’t sacrifice safety for the sake of being on-time to an event
- Slow down for all emergency vehicles
Once you’ve mastered these techniques you can increase your safety on the road and thereby increasing the safety of those surrounding you.